Grundtvigs Kirke

Peder Vilhelm Jensen-Klint (1853-1930)

The expressionist Grundtvigs Kirke (“Grundtvig’s Church”) in Copenhagen designed by Peder Vilhelm Jensen Klint (1853-1930) was begun in 1921. The design blends the vertical scale of a Gothic cathedral with the traditional aesthetics, materials and decoration of a Danish country church. Klint died before the church was finished and his son Kaare Klint (1888-1954) completed the building in 1940. The regular brickwork forming the sole decoration of the church. The most striking feature of the building is its west façade, reminiscent of a church organ. In plan the interior is typically Gothic with a nave, two lateral aisles and a small transept. Klint decorated the nave with a version of the stepped gables common on Danish churches, but reinterpreted by doubling the apex. The church is 76 m. long and 35 m. wide; the nave has a height of 22 m.
Grundvig's Church, Copenhagen (1)Grundvig's Church, Copenhagen (2)Grundvig's Church, Copenhagen (3)Grundvig's Church, Copenhagen (4)Grundvig's Church, Copenhagen (5)Grundvig's Church, Copenhagen (6)Grundvig's Church, Copenhagen (7)Grundvig's Church, Copenhagen (8)