GREENE & GREENE
THE GAMBLE HOUSE (1908)
Greene and Greene was an practice established by brothers Charles Sumner Greene (1868–1957) and Henry Mather Greene (1870 –1954), two influential early 20th Century American architectS, in Pasadena in January 1894. Active primarily in California, their houses and larger-scale bungalows are among the best examples of the American Arts and Crafts Movement. The 1908 Gamble House in Pasedena (shown in this gallery) is widely considered one of the finest examples of residential architecture in the United States. In 1966, the Gamble family turned the house over to the city of Pasadena in a joint agreement with the University of Southern California (USC) School of Architecture. The Gamble House was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1977.
© Alan John Ainsworth Photography