Located on the southeast edge of the University of Chicago campus, the D’Angelo Law Library is not one of the better known designs by Eero Saarinen, one of the most celebrated architects of the twentieth century. The 2016 PBS American Masters documentary Eero Saarinen: The Architect Who Saw the Future featured the architect’s collegiate designs yet omitted the D'Angelo Library.
Built in 1959, just three years before Saarinen's modernist TWA Flight Center at New York’s Kennedy Airport, the design of the Library is striking with its crisp, undulating curtain wall of bluish glass as it rises above a solid, Bedford limestone base. The building is not in any danger having been restored in the early 2000s. Nevertheless, the building isn’t a protected city landmark, nor is it listed on the National Register.
© Alan John Ainsworth Photography