Philip Johnson (1906 –2005)

Philip Johnson was an American architect best known for modernist and postmodernist designs. Among his best-known designs are his modernist Glass House in New Canaan, Connecticut, the postmodern AT& T Building at 550 Madison Avenue in New York City, 190 South La Salle Street in Chicago; the Sculpture Garden of the Museum of Modern Art; and the Pre-Columbian Pavilion at Dumbarton Oaks. In his obituary, Many consider these to among the architectural masterpieces of the 20th century.

In 1930, Johnson became the first director of the architecture department of the Museum of Modern Art in New York. There he arranged for visits by Walter Gropius and Le Corbusier and negotiated the first American commission for Mies van der Rohe, after leaving Germany.In 1932, he organized the first exhibition on modern architecture at the Museum of Modern Art.

In 1978, he was awarded an AIA Gold Medal. In 1979, he was the first recipient of the Pritzker Architecture Prize. Today his skyscrapers are prominent features in the skylines of New York, Houston, Chicago, Detroit, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Atlanta, Madrid, and other cities.
Rothko Chapel, Houston, TX. (Philip Johnson, 1971)Rothko Chapel, Houston, TX. (Philip Johnson, 1971)Thanks-Giving Square and Chapel, Dallas, TX (Philip Johnson, 1973-76)J. F. Kennedy Memorial Plaza, Dallas, TX (Philip Johnson, 1970)Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Fort Worth, TX (Philip Johnson, 1968-71)Amon Carter Museum of American Art, Fort Worth, TX (Philip Johnson, 1968-71)